THE FRIENDS OF THE VENTURA RIVER COALITION MEETING
MONDAY Sept. 30, 2013
PATAGONIA FIREHOUSE BUILDING
The meeting will take place on the 2nd floor of Patagonia’s Firehouse building, in the Grand Room. The Firehouse is the tall building closest to Main St, address: 280 W. Main St.
Enter Patagonia’s campus from Main St. and park anywhere in our lots (the lot at the corner of Main and Olive is most likely to have space available — all parking lots will remain unlocked until after this meeting is over). Enter the Firehouse on the south side of the building (furthest from Main St.)- we will have someone at the door directing you upstairs.
For Late Arrivals:
There will be someone at the door until 4:45pm, if you arrive after that call to be let in.
(If you think you will may be late, bring phone & call Kathy Bremer: 805 901-6415 & she can run down and let you in.)
Round the room introductions (with brief 1 to 2 minute updates to group if you have them).
(We have a full agenda so the updates have to be kept brief.)
Although this meeting is our National Parks Service Rivers and Trails Conservation Assistance grant wrap-up meeting we are going to make some “timely” detours before we get to the “main event.”
- Presentation on the current dry conditions in the Ventura River Watershed (created by Lorraine Walter Vta River Watershed Council) presented by Ben Pitterle of SBCK aided by Brian Stark OVLC.
- Sample short video from Ventura Water’s Take One online film contest called “A Watershed Fairytale.” The Water: Take 1 challenges how we look at, use, and share water. Watch films at www.watertake1.com & vote for your favorite by October 3.
- “A Big Day” overview of the Ventura River Parkway progress filmed by CAPS-TV, demonstrating community support for the Ventura River Parkway.
- Patrick Johnston with NPS RTCA program discuss progress FoVR work group made during 2 year grant program. Ventura River Trail Guide (Can be updated as the parkway evolves. And Spanish language translation Ventura River Trail Guide status.
- Trail connectivity document (Paul may have draft document to pass around– document helps in multi-jurisdictional parkway to coordinate projects.)
- Certificates of Recognition from State Senate to FOVR Work Group (KK Holland representative for State Senator Hannah-Beth Jackson). Huge FoVR thank you to Patrick for sharing his talents and Cynthia Hartley for her amazing GIS mapping skills and Miguel Rodriguez for helping with the Spanish translation of the Ventura River Trail guide and thanks to Paul, Derek, Lee, Greg, Brian, Ed, Ben, Kathy for their unfailing devotion to making the Ventura River Parkway a great environmental and recreational asset.)
- Brian Segee of EDC discuss SBCK/EDC suit against Ojai quarry.
- Kathy Bremer, Ed Wehan, Derek Poultney will discuss National Recreational Trails application for recognition & how it could help Ventura River Parkway in the future.
- Derek Poultney and Paul Jenkin discuss SCC climate change grant application.
- Lauren Cole with Vta Watershed Council re: public out reach to Spanish-speaking community. One of Ventura Watershed Council’s grant deliverables is to hold an outreach meeting on our watershed management plan process with our Spanish-speaking residents. Lauren hopes to make good connections here to help get input from this segment of community. (10 min.)
- Kurt Lieber of Ocean Defense Alliance (ODA) works in collaboration with NOAA and CA DF&W to clean up abandoned fishing gear and other garbage from ocean bottom. Talk about damage ghost gear causes. Looking for volunteers to help in local efforts (either on boats or diving) to clean up in and around Anacapa and Santa Cruz Islands. (10 min.)
Other business or announcements
Adjournment no later than 6:45 Thank you everyone for staying involved!